How to Dress Up Like Margot Tenenbaum from The Royal Tenenbaums
I was first introduced to Wes Anderson through The Royal Tenenbaums. If you’re not familiar with the film, it’s a dark comedy about a family of geniuses, centering on three siblings who eventually became failures as adults.
One of them is Margot Tenenbaum. Her
Who is Margot Tenenbaum?
- Margot is the adopted daughter of Royal and Etheline Tenenbaum.
- When she was a child, she escaped from home to find her real parents and came back with a half finger missing.
- Exceptionally bright, Margot became an award-winning playwright when she was young.
- Known for her extreme secrecy, Margot has had a promiscuous past – with one ending up in marriage without her family knowing.
- A chain smoker since 12, Margot successfully hid this fact from her family until her husband Raleigh St. Clair had someone follow her movements.
- Margot is secretly in love with her adoptive brother Richie.
DID YOU KNOW? The Royal Tenenbaums is actually inspired by a real Tenenbaum family. With the exception of Chas and Richie, Margot Tenenbaum really exists, except she’s not a playwright and not adopted either. The only characteristic they share is their love for smoking.
Throughout the film, Margot is only seen wearing her signature polo dresses and fur coat, except when she’s at home. Her look is quite easy to replicate. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a fur coat, but I found this tan coat from a charity thrift store in downtown Tampa. The polo dress was given as a gift to me by a Wes Anderson shop from the UK. Called The Society of Crossed Keys (which was taken from – you guessed it – The Grand Budapest Hotel), this store has all the Wes Anderson costume essentials you need, from The Royal Tenenbaums to Isle of Dogs, and even Bottle Rocket.
NO, I DO NOT SMOKE AT ALL. But my dedication to re-creating my favorite Wes Anderson character is greater than my aversion to cigarettes.
How to Dress Like Margot Tenenbaum
1. Look for a polo dress, like this one I’m wearing from The Society of Crossed Keys.
2. Choose a tan coat, faux fur if you can find one!
3. Loafers are Margot’s choice of shoes. My hubby got this for me as a Christmas gift last year.
4. Unless you have an Hermès Birkin bag lying around, any brown bag will do. After all, it’s all about putting your own spin on the character.
5. Don’t forget to part your hair flat, and accessorize with a hair clip to complete the look.
Margot Tenenbaum Costume Essentials
Click the image to shop on Amazon.